Monday, August 27, 2007

Trumansburg Fair

This past week was the Trumansburg Fair. Trumansburg is where Taughannock Falls is located, just down the road. So Mike, Teri and I checked it out last Thursday. It is a fairly small sized fair, but they definitely had a nice selection of rides, food, animals, and I think entertainment (the band we saw wasn't too amazing but they did have some demolition derbies).
We started off with some Italian Sausages, then made our way to the Zipper. This is a classic carnival ride that spins you in your little cage as you spin around the entire ride. They have one in Ocean City, so we were accustomed to it and were excited to try it again. (Although I guess I should be speaking for myself - Mike has never been thrilled with spinning-puke fair rides, and we learned that Teri wasn't much of a fan either.) BUT, they
were both good sports and decided to go for it - I was super excited. So as we got up to the platform, Mike found out that you have to have 2 people to ride (Teri and I were going to sit together), so he kindly bowed out and let us go on without him. Now Teri and I are on, getting swung around as we wait for them to finish filling up the rest of the seats. Then right when we should really be getting started, the guys loading us on are asking us to get off. I was a little irritated because we hadn't had a ride yet - I was close to a real fit - but then finally understood that someone had thrown up before we could even get started, so everyone had to get off so they could do a proper cleaning. OH well :( at least we did get out tickets back. Pretty gross though!
After the whole zipper experience we decided to take a leisurely Ferris Wheel ride. They're so nice, I wish I could sleep on a Ferris Wheel every night. I think it would be so relaxing (same with the swings - Mike thinks I'm nuts).
Here's the Zipper & Mike looking up at it before we got on.

Chris & Teri waiting in line.
Mike and I still had a set of tickets to use up so we tried this fun ride. It reminded me of the big boat ride or covered wagon, but instead you face out and it spins you side to side and then all the way around - it had a really nice whip to it!

So fairs usually have some farm animals - cows, horses, pigs, bunnies. But the Trumansburg Fair had exotic animals! What a shock to see such strange animals. They had an alligator, large tortoise, lemurs, goats and then theses:
Two kangaroos and one even had a joey in its pouch!
two black lepards
and cows - here's Teri kneeling down to say hi - I always forget how huge cows can be! Good times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the zipper!!!!!! what a great ride!!