Thursday, April 19, 2007

Neighborhood Walk

We have an awesome gym in our apartment complex that we can use for free (it's really included in our rent.) But it's been great to have. I've been going pretty much everyday and I'm beginning to feel the effects. Usually I use the eclipse machine and then the weight machine, but the other day Mike and I decided to switch over to the treadmill. I LOVE running, but my knees continually remind me that they do not. But it had been a few months since my last attempt and I thought I would give it another try. It was great - I ran a mile and really didn't have any problems......until the next day :( Back to having a balloon in my knee - it's all swollen and full of fluid. Just figures. SO I decided to take it a little easier today and do some exploring around our neighborhood. I have heard that there is a "nature" path and a pond close by, so I went to see if I could find it.
It's basically across the road from our apartment complex - a small, paved path that winds through a sort of industrial park area. It was enjoyable, lots of little picnic areas, and I actually was able to find enough places to check out that I was gone for an hour. I'm sure that the workers over there really enjoy it when the weather is nice.

Here is the pond that I had heard about - decent size - man-made.

Lots of Canada Geese (and poop) - world domination could possibly be their mantra - they really are showing up everywhere!

It was also great tracking weather! I found several different tracks in the snow - mainly common animals - deer, squirrel, rabbit, goose, random birds. These are turkey tracks - we actually have a HUGE turkey population right around us. On several occasions we have seen flocks of about 15 wandering through our apartment complex. It's quite a site!

Here's a little run-off trough from the pond. It just looked nice - I'd like to take a ride down it if it was a little steeper!

And finally, as I was walking back home - I spotted some skunk cabbage poking up through the leaves. They often say this is one of the first real signs of spring. I am sooo ready for sunny days!!

No comments: