Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Troubled Ducklings

I've had some extra hours building up for my work so I decided to take an extra long hike today. I was heading up Buttermilk Falls when I looked across the gorge and spotted a little duckling. It was obvious that it was stuck and didn't know how to get out of the gorge. It kept swimming upstream and then a few minutes later it was heading back down towards the waterfalls. The poor thing was exhausted and probably so scared. So I decided to try and get it. I took off my shoes and waded (illegally) into the stream and tried to catch it. But after about 5 minutes of really freaking it out, I decided that I best just let it go because I wasn't going to get it with my bare hands. And really, I was just wearing it out even more. So I continued on with my hike and thought about what, if anything, I could do. I then remembered that I had a net in my car and my puddle boots, so I got my gear and headed back into the gorge. I didn't even know though if it would still be there because it was a good 15 minutes for me to get to my car and then back into the gorge.
Once I arrived, I couldn't find him anywhere. I figured I was too late and he had been swept down even further. But as I looked around, I finally spotted him down stream past a few more waterfalls. At that moment I knew that he was too far and there was no way I could safely get to him.
I just stood there for a few minutes and sent him my best wishes to make it safely to the bottom. But then unexpectedly, he got out onto the bank and started making his way up the side of the gorge and closer back to where I could reach him. So off I went, crossing the water and climbed onto the wall on the other side. It was all so perfect, great footholds and I never even slipped. Then all of a sudden I saw him, getting situated under some ferns, probably for a little rest. I put my net over him and scooped him up! I couldn't believe it! I rescued him!! I felt so relieved. But then reality set in and I didn't know what to do with him. I had searched for his mother and other ducklings but couldn't find any. I then tried to think of other duck families around the area, but I really hadn't seen any. So I headed up to Lake Treman (in upper Buttermilk). But on my way I ran into a woman who had just come out of the gorge and had seen the mother and 7 other ducklings. She said they were stuck and there didn't seem to be anything that we could do.
So onto plan B - I drove down to the bottom of the gorge with the little duckling and started hiking up the gorge - looking for the mom and babies. At last, I did see them but they really were in a spot which was impossible to get to (downstream from where I found the first duckling.) I watched them for awhile but decided that there was really nothing I could do. Besides, I had to figure out what to do with the one I had (since it was going to be nearly impossible to get it back with the family.)
So back down the gorge - into my car and headed to the closest vet. They were nice and suggested calling the Cornell vet school - I guess they have a wildlife rescue unit. So that is what I did, and LONG story short, they found a person that does rehabilitation of wildlife at their own home. So hopefully the babe can find a new family and be ok.
I have to admit, even though I know that it would have been soo hard, I truly wanted to keep him and I'm now really sad that he is gone. I have always LOVED ducks - I think they are the most adorable creatures - so to have a sweet little duckling with me and sleeping in my hands - talk about being on cloud 9 (minus all the worrying parts).
But I know better and I am in NO situation at all to keep a duck, so he will be better off. I just hope the others make it out of the gorge ok.
Ah - the circle of life!

Isn't he the CUTEST little guy!!!

He didn't want to stay in his bin while I was driving and kept jumping out towards me. The only way he would relax was on my lap or in my hand. What a rough day for the poor guy!

This is right after I caught him.

3 comments:

Roxie said...

He/she is so adorable. I can see why it was hard to part with him! He's very lucky that you came along and rescued him!!!

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Ducks are wonderful! Baby ducks are especially cute. We raised ducks a number of years ago and they were great fun.

I am so glad you were able to rescue this little one, and that it will eventually be returned to the wild.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to know that there are people like you with a fondness for wildlife.

I have a story about a duck and her babies in my latest children's book "Trouble Finds Rooter and Snuffle.