Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Taste of Keuka

Over Memorial Day weekend, Mike and I headed to Keuka Lake to visit with both of our parents. I amazingly got the weekend off last minute, so it worked out really good. Both of our parents came up on Friday night and we all stayed at Mike's parent's cottage.
Here's a bunch of pictures as an overview of the weekend:

This is the Tree House (aka - Scott & Roxie's cottage).

Every year they have birds that build nests all along their porch roof. I think there were 8 altogether!

A cute little inch worm. I love these little guys. The gypsy moth caterpillars were really starting to come out too.

Mike and his dad relaxing on the dock. We all decided to go for a boat ride. It was actually really warm and we timed it perfectly to get back right before a storm came through.

My parents relaxing before the boat ride.

A hoy captain!

A cute little nest I found in their yard. It was hanging by a thread so I know it was abandoned.

Mike and his ma :)

Lately when we drive home from Keuka, we tend to travel right after it gets dark. This leads to a wide variety of wildlife that crosses our path. Two times ago it was like the "ride for your life" because we literally had around 20 deer run in front of us at different times. It was surreal - plus an opossum, cat, fox...and it seems like something else too. So for this last trip home we were on the alert but instead were greeted by 58 toads in the road (all spread out over several miles), a bat which came about 6 inches from our windshield, a cat and a rabbit! The toads were really out because it had just rained. It was pretty cool, and I think we managed to dodge them all. This one in particular was right in front of us and I decided to get a closer look. After I got my picture I picked it up and moved it off the road. But it didn't even move, I guess I blinded it with my flash, or else it was deep in thought. Kind of strange.

No comments: