Monday, May 21, 2007

Oh Fiddleheads & Skunk Cabbage

I guess it was two weeks ago, I was driving North on Rt. 13 (which goes right by our place) - I hadn't done this yet, with no real reason to head that way, but as I was driving I realized that we live only a mile away from Cornell's Lab of Ornithology located in Sapsucker Woods. What this means is that there is this really cool forested area basically right next to our apartment complex that I had no idea about! So I decided that on my next day off I would head over there and check out the trails. It was a beautiful day and I was pleased with everything that crossed my path. I spent about 3 hours walking around and saw almost all of the trails. I'm looking forward to going back and showing Mike. What a great way to start my day there - as I walked up to the entrance there was a pair of Canada Geese and their little babies!! So cute! This is the actual building - it's mostly office/lab space, but it has a very nice visitor area with a gallery, library, gift shop and spotting scopes set up all over the place. Looking out from an observation area in the building. Fiddleheads and Skunk Cabbage everywhere! Nice paths :) HUGE tadpoles - probably bullfrogs. So sweet!

2 comments:

Scott said...

I am anxious for you to take me on a tour of the Ornithology Lab - looks like a neat place.

Joy said...

Hey I am jealous. This place looks awsome, take me on a tour.
PS I talked to Lindsay!!