Monday, February 23, 2009

Holiday Crafts 2008

If you follow this blog at all, you should know by now that our family is very crafty and for holidays we try and stick to handmade things as a core to our gift giving. In particular, my mom's side of the family always exchanges a handmade gift each year to each family. I LOVE this tradition and it really gets me motivated to do lots of crafts over the holidays. But what is really fun is to see what everyone else comes up with. And this year, to say the least, had an awesome display of creativity for sure. Here are the goods:

My Aunt Nene and Uncle Jim made this great votive holder out of wood. They say it should go outside but I think it's so beautiful that it should not be thrown to the elements!

My Aunt Pat outdid herself as usual :) She monogrammed hand towels,

she sewed a hotplate, smell good pad,

She designed her gift bags,

AND embroidered this sweet little ornament. Wow! She's amazing!

She also gave me a sweatshirt to grow into with the baby :)


Now my Uncle Bob (Aunt Pat's husband) is no exception and is a talented woodworker.

Here is a beautiful ornament that he cut - I love his designs - I think we should collaborate someday!

My mom has actually entered into the role of "photographer" these days and has been making beautiful note cards with her photographs. So for the exchange we were all gifted with an amazing set of her wonderful pictures.

AND, once again, MY FATHER is no exception to the rule! That's right, my dad actually painted these beautiful ornaments. My parents had gone to China last year, so in honor of their trip (and a somewhat Chinese themed holiday celebration) he designed these ornaments.

And I think I'm going to screw it up, but one side says good fortune and the other side says prosperity (I'm about positive that's not right though, so once I am corrected I will update this post :) Sorry Dad!

My cousins JoAnne, Mike, Zach, Madison and Michael put together these really special gratitude beads. They are similar to a rosery but instead you go around and say something you are grateful for for each bead. I love the idea and am grateful to now have this beautiful reminder of all the things I appreciate in life!

My cousins Brian and Stacy built this beautiful picture frame with key hooks. It's got such a slick look to it, I love it!

From my cousins Kathy and Jeff, we recieved this cute, little snowflake pillow. It's actually very sparkly with beads - Very beautiful!

Jeannie sewed these cool autumn maple leaf bowls. I love them, especially since my favorite leaf is maple :)

Now Mike's family is also no exception - they too are brimming with VERY crafty people!

My mother-in-law knitted these adorable felted plant cozies! I think they are so cute!!

And Betsy knitted this great draft stopper. It has actually been doing an awesome job in our living room - thanks Betsy!

Betsy is also a very talented potter and had created these delicate little bowls for us. Perfect!

We also have a very kind friend who is another very talented sewer. Our friend Noreen sewed us a whole set of these beautiful placemats. Thank you Noreen!

No comments: